Covent Garden Market
- Name: CITY OF LONDON
- Location: London, ON
- Delivery Method: Design-Build
- Sector: Commercial, Retail
- Sub Sector: Retail
- Status: Completed
- Completion Date: October 1999
- Size: 67,000 sq. ft.
2000 – City of London’s Green Brick Award (Heritage Design)
Covent Garden Market is located in downtown London, at Talbot and King Street. The building first started operating in 1835. By 1853, the first building housing stall holders for market was constructed and lasted until 1903 when a major renovation was undertaken. With the advent of the motor vehicle the market expanded to include parking facilities.
The turn of century renovations served the community well until 1956 when the next generation of the market building was constructed with a two-level parking garage which was later expanded with an additional two floors to keep pace with vehicle capacity.
In the late 1990’s, the City of London issued a public request for proposals, which involved public meetings and consultations. McKay-Cocker became responsible for developing a portion of the project as part of a public/private partnership with the City of London. The new market building in its design looked back in history at the previous structures and facilities and included modernized portions within the new concepts.
The facility boasted an underground two-level parking structure, totalling over 130,000 square feet. The main floor of the Farmers’ Market is comprised of 47,500 square feet with two full a la carte restaurants and an area for local television broadcasts. A perimeter mezzanine gave the market an additional 22,000 square feet of retail space.
The market also offered exterior community space for additional markets and festivals from Spring through to Fall. During the winter months, the City and the Rotary Club operate an outdoor ice rink, with the infrastructure of refrigeration being incorporated into the design of the parking garage roof slab structure.
The project also received the City of London’s 2000 “Green Brick Award” for this project in recognition of its heritage design.